Back-to-school campaigns provide retailers opportunities to engage customers and boost sales. You can maximize your back-to-school efforts at little to no cost with the single most powerful marketing tool you own––your website.
As the core of your digital marketing, your website should not only perform well, but also be optimized to effectively engage and convert visitors from your back-to-school campaign. Here are 4 key areas you can review to ensure your website and campaign are consistent and delight your customers.
4 Key Areas to Optimize for Back-to-School Conversions
- Product badging: These are virtual stickers you can place on select images to help visitors identify back-to-school sale items and draw attention to specific segments, such as “Perfect for Dorm” or “Best Laptops for College.”
- Landing pages: This is where conversion takes place so make sure your landing pages are aligned with your back-to-school advertising, delivering a consistent message to encourage conversions.
- Forms: Keep your web forms short and give visitors a reason to sign-up, such as an extra 10% off school items.
- Errors: Use webmaster tools to check for and fix 404 errors (Not Found error message) and broken links.
- Content: Your back-to-school marketing has got you customer attention. Make sure you keep it all the way to conversion by keeping your website content visibly back-to-school focused throughout the duration of the campaign.
- Value proposition: Tailor this by emphasizing the benefits of new back-to-school products and the discounted prices for products being liquidated.
- Trust: Show visitors your products and website are trustworthy. Display testimonials with positive customer experiences. Use trust marks like Verisign or McAfee to reinforce secure checkout.
- Checkout: Reduce shopping cart abandonment by clearly displaying pricing information, including shipping fees and taxes.
- Creative: Use appealing images showing students engaging with your back-to-school products.
- Visual hierarchy: Users should be able to scan a page for back-to-school information so minimize barriers such as large, text-filled graphics.
- Image overlays: These can indicate items with specific back-to-school attributes. Eye-catching overlays can be created with image-editing programs or a watermarking tool.
- Website carousel: Your image slider should reflect your back-to-school campaign messaging and related promotions. Low price deals can be used to entice users to click on the slider.
- Remarketing: Create exclusivity by offering college students special pricing in exchange for their email address. You can track products they are looking at and remarket to them via email.
- Desire paths: Users want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Help them by using promotional areas devoted to back-to-school features or develop a dedicated navigation menu.
- Mobile experience: Your mobile website should be focused on the tasks users want to complete on mobile. Make your buttons easily readable and clickable.
- PPC campaigns: These should be product-focused. Students are brand conscious so avoid generic titles like “Back-to-School Specials,” and create product-focused titles that mention the brand.
Back-to-school is the second biggest consumer spending event for retailers. You can optimize your most effective marketing tool with low-cost techniques so your campaign captures and converts customers.