You may be hearing a lot about content marketing these days. That’s because most businesses have begun adopting some form of content marketing. In fact, 94% of small businesses, 93% of B2Bs, and 77% of B2Cs use content marketing.
If you’re still in the minority and are not doing content marketing, or if you’re not spending much time on it, here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Do you want to reach more customers?
- Do you want to build relationships with customers on social media?
- Do people frequently ask you the same questions on the phone or in person?
- Do you want to better promote brand awareness and increase sales?
If you’ve answered yes to most (if not all) of these questions, then consider these benefits to content marketing:
- If you’re a small or local business, online content can help you reach more people and get noticed for way less money than traditional media
- It can help you communicate directly to buyers and answer their questions
- It allows you to reach niche buyers directly with targeted information that costs a fraction of what big budget advertising costs
- You can engage with more prospects and benefit from word-of-mouth by asking people to share your practical information in their social media
- Online content helps point people to your virtual doorstep: customers come to you, no coercion required
A recent Content Marketing Institute report shows that businesses that spend a lot more time on content marketing do a better job of connecting with more customers and prospects. Also, businesses that are doing this well usually start by creating a content marketing strategy.
Here are 5 tips to get started on a content marketing strategy:
1. Decide what messages you want to send and determine your target audience
It is important to understand who your audience is and to write content that is tailored to their needs and question. For instance, if you run a doctor’s office and are trying to reach a broad audience, avoid using medical jargon that most people may not understand. Use the terms you think they’re using, you could look online or ask your clients in person to find out.
It also helps to create a buyer persona for each of your audience. A buyer personal is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and information about your existing customers. For instance, a dentist may have a buyer persona of a child who does not enjoy getting her teeth cleaned. The dentist would then use this information to create a fun and interactive page for kids to learn about oral health. There would be a different buyer persona for an adult, which would help the dentist to produce the right content for his information page.
So when creating content, it is essential to be mindful of the audience that you’re writing for.
2. Create attractive and readable content
People have short attention spans these days and generally skim online content. That is why it is important to use lots of white space, engaging pictures or graphics, break information into digestible chunks, and use bullet points (or lists like this one) to make your content more attractive and engaging.
3. Create a marketing schedule
A simple way to reach out to more people and to frequently engage with them is to have a marketing schedule. This could include sending out monthly email newsletters or frequently share posts on important events or offers on social media such as Facebook.
4. Document your performance
Make note of how well your online content is doing as part of your marketing content strategy. See how much many people are sharing your posts through social media or keep track of the number of people visiting your web page. Yellow Pages Analytics can provide you with up-to-date information on your online business performance.
5. Use more channels
Finally, an effective way to promote your content is by using more online channels. The more places you share, the more people will see it. You can put content on your website, but you could also share it on other websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or have it featured on another relevant high traffic website. You could also promote your business on Yellow Pages with our Priority Placement feature.